Friday 1 July 2011

High Protein, Low Sugar Frozen Yogurt

Mommy's helper, licking the whisk..shhhhh!
Happy Canada Day everyone!  Today I have a guest in my kitchen.  Let me take a moment to introduce you to Miss Daisy.  She's a feisty little thing, don't let those big eyes fool you.  Our kitchen mission for Canada Day is two fold- Owen needs a good protein boost, and we need a special dessert.  With two weeks left before his scope the milk products are still in his diet.  To be honest, I cannot wait until I can take them out again, but that poses problems as well.  Milk is an easy protein and fat boost for him.  Once I take it out, I will have to search for another source.   I suppose it will give me something surf cyberspace for.

About a year ago I happened upon a brand new ice cream maker.  Now, I didn't find it at a conventional store so to speak.  I found it while bargain hunting at Value Village.  I had been longing for an ice cream maker for years and years, but the bottom line is....I'm cheap.  Not in a bad way.  I just have a hard time justifying a kitchen gadget with a hundred dollar price tag if I don't know how often I will use it.  That amount of money will feed our family well for a full week and a bit!  I just about had a coronary when I found one, package intact, sitting on a lonely shelf.  And the price tag said (ready for this?) $19.99.  DONE!  I had that machine in my cart and up to the till in about 15 seconds flat.  After having the ice cream maker home for about a year, and reading the ingredients in most commercial ice creams, I would have to say that I would have easily spent a hundred bucks on a new one.

A word about cream....Have you ever looked ingredients on the side of the cream container?  I know this sounds stupid, but I didn't really think that there would be a need for ingredient listings on cream.  I mean, it's CREAM, right?  Comes from a cow, floats to the top of the milk, tastes good and rich when it's whipped up with sugar etc.  I was shocked one day about a year ago when I noticed that my cream had an ingredient list- with a whole bunch of stuff that I could not pronounce!  I have since refined my shopping habit and check ingredients on just about everything we buy.  We are very lucky to have access to Reid's Dairy products- which have nothing but milk and cream added to their 5%, 10% and 18% creams.  I have yet to find a whipping cream that does not have stabilizers  added.  If I do happen upon one, I will definitely let you know!
Normally I use my own homemade ridiculously high fat yogurt for this, but today I wanted to try something with a little more protein.  Unfortunately, the PC Greek yogurt is also fat free.  I made up a bit of fat by using whipping cream instead of milk. The basic recipe is below, please mix it up as much as you like.  I think that I would have preferred strawberry or peach flavour.  But the kids like raspberry, so I caved.  You could also use a tablespoon or so of liqueur (triple sec, chambord, or perhaps a little Godiva White Chocolate?) to keep it from freezing solid.


  • 2 cups President's Choice Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 cup milk *
  • 1/2 cup sugar or honey
  • 12 oz raspberries, pureed and strained of seeds
Strain pureed raspberries
Combine the yogurt, milk, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl; using a
hand mixer on medium speed, mix until sugar is dissolved, about 1-1/2
to 2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the berry purée and mix
until combined, about 30 – 40 seconds. Turn the machine ON, pour
mixture into freezer bowl through ingredient spout and let mix until
thickened, about 25 – 30 minutes.  Seriously, there is NOTHING to this- and the result?  We were all smiles for hours!



Add the fruit puree to the yogurt
Mix well, pour into ice cream maker

Action shot.  BUGGER!





20 minutes is a LONG time when you are three!




Add a few kids and a hot day and you have success!

Owie is eating it!  HOORAY!!










To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art.
- La Rochefoucauld

2 comments:

  1. When do we get the recipe for Picnic basket coleslaw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean the one from yesterday?

    ReplyDelete